The Importance of Getting an Annual Colonoscopy
posted: Jan. 25, 2022.
If you are experiencing any digestive conditions or need to schedule an annual colonoscopy in Bourbonnais and New Lenox, IL, the specialists at Digestive Diseases Consultants can provide the care and expertise you need.
What Are Colonoscopies and How Often Do You Need One?
Colonoscopies are a procedure in which the colon is examined and screened for any complications, irregularities, and signs of serious conditions. Most healthy people with no irregularities in their colon will only need to repeat the procedure every five to ten years, according to their doctor’s instructions.
However, when irregularities are found or if you suffer from certain digestive disorders, Digestive Diseases Consultants might recommend an annual colonoscopy in Bourbonnais and New Lenox, IL.
If this is the case, it’s imperative that you follow this recommendation for the following reasons and more:
- Annual colonoscopies can help ensure the same issue does not return or worsen. For example, patients in the early stage of colon cancer can typically be treated by removing the cancerous area. Annual colonoscopies allow the doctor to keep a close eye out for the return or spread of any cancerous tissues. Detecting them early provides a higher chance of successful treatment.
- When colon cancer is not detected until a later stage, colonoscopies can help you and your doctor keep up with its progression and determine the best way to treat or manage the condition.
- The procedure helps doctors detect many conditions, some of which are painful and life-threatening. Some of these conditions include diverticulosis, inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis, colorectal cancer. With early detection, these conditions can often be effectively treated.
- It can help determine the cause of certain symptoms. These include gastrointestinal bleeding, cramping, pain in the abdomen, unexplained weight loss, and more.
- Doctors can remove harmful tissues during the procedure. For example, if you have polyps or ulcers in your intestine, they can be removed without an additional procedure.
If you have any further questions or need a colonoscopy in Bourbonnais or New Lenox, IL, call Digestive Diseases Consultants at (815) 937-5200.